After trying this, I realized it still needs work, different flavor, and new flavor. Of course I knew from the beginning that the flavor would probably be different from the original because of the difference in environment and produce. I need to adjust the ratio of the "thickener" agent in the soup. Mine ended up not looking the same and that was due to the blended beans and soup broth. I added too much, hence my soup came out thicker than I had wanted it to be. Maybe I shouldn't have added the thickener at all. I might also look into different beans, but I think I am happy with my choice of the Pinto Bean. I was thinking about adding the beans in at a later time so they have a soft yet firm texture to them. So for now, it was pretty good for the moment. I also went with Butternut Squash over Pumpkin due to the time of year and the similarities of the two. So this is what I have so far and I will continue to work on it and make it better and somewhat similar to the original...

The original bowl of amazing Pumpkin Bean Soup.
-Work in Progress-Pumpkin Bean Soup
By: Reima

2 T. olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
2-3 small pumpkins (or 2-3 small to medium sized Butternut squash), cut into cubes
1 t. cumin
3 cans pinto beans
4 c. vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Peel and cut pumpkins (or butternut squash) into cubes. Remove seeds.
2. Drain and wash 2 cans of pinto beans. Set aside.
3. In a heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except the remainder can of pinto beans. Bring to a boil.
5. In the meantime, drain and wash the remainder pinto beans and blend in a food processor or blender with 1 cup of the soup broth.
6. When the soup starts boiling, add the thickener and reduce heat to low.
7. Cook for 30 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender with fork. Adjust salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve warm.
No comments:
Post a Comment