My one concern with going here again was that I was worried it wouldn't be the same as the first. From past experience, there have been real good eats that I had thoroughly enjoyed the first time, but it would then lack the love I was feeling the first time when I went back for seconds.
So I decided to test this theory out to see if I could enjoy this wonderful hole in the wall again and feel the same love I felt for it the first time around.....the result--UNBELIEVABLE. It was just as good as the first time, if not better! I'm telling you, you are really missing out on this great hole in the wall in the middle of Old Town Newhall. Believe it or not, the SCV is home to plenty good eats that have been around for a really long time. I think this place is a true gem in the middle of somewhat nowhere and don't judge it because its location in North LA. I'd make the drive for it. Guaranteed.

I started out with Tom Kha with the Tofu Option. This time they remembered to add the lemongrass and it definitely brought the soup to a higher intensity. I love the citrus with the savory coconut kick. Gets me everytime.


My entree was the Panang Beef Curry. I love the dried chillies heat kick along with the lemongrass flavor, galangal, coriander, and shrimp paste. The flavor combination--just lovely. Quite spicy but not overpowering. The beef, again, just melts in your mouth.

Jessica got the Pad Thai with Chicken. Her stomach can't handle a lot of new stuff (I'm still working on this random path I'm trying to get her to go on) so I cut her some slack and let her order it. She enjoyed it.

Lastly, I convinced Jessica to get a dessert there and try something she has not had before. I settled with Khao niao mamuang- Mango with sticky rice soaked in a sweetened coconut milk. Hmmm, just might have to be my comfort dessert. The combination is so comforting, so satisfying, and just so sexy. I love it. Period. I just found out now, literally, that my birthday is being celebrated again, sometime this weekend, with a dessert run and well, I'm thinking I might just have to go back to Thai Pepper just for this. :)

My thoughts: I'm sticking to my rating of 5 hearts: ♥♥♥♥♥. It is rare to find a restaurant and hole in the wall that, I have a feeling, will just get better and better each time you go.
Chiayo! ไชโย
No comments:
Post a Comment