Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cotopaxi

If you are ever in Quito, I suggest that you spend a day in the Andes.





And don't miss out on the opportunity to climb Cotopaxi. Gorgeous and Breathtaking. It's about 15, 800-16,000 ft (my estimation) up in the air. I reached 15,000 ft. What an amazing experience I had. For the brave, you can climb all the way to the top but they recommend you start the climb at around midnight. I might consider it someday. Maybe.



Beware of altitude sickness, though. It can get you if you aren't careful. Drink plenty of water. Have those sweet snacks on hand. Take it slow up the volcano and take plenty of breaks. And dress warm because it will be cold. You won't overheat on the way up. Sunglasses to protect the eyes and sunscreen too.

I found that taking it slow and stopping for breaks helped a lot. I could feel the pressure build in my head but I found that just drinking water helped keep my focus. I didn't want to give up.




The rest stop for your blood sugar and sleep needs.



Look what happened to my bag of mixed nuts.

It popped when I finally opened it.


Sinchilawee. Helps with the altitude sickness.



Hike it.



Conquer it.



Take a breath and relax.



Then go crazy and ride a mountain bike down the mountain and then spend the rest of your time relaxing by the lake. What a beautiful end to that day.


2 comments:

Sandy's witterings said...

A grand hike up Cotopaxi, I feel a bit out of breath just reading it.

Reima said...

Oh yes! I'm in shape and hiking up Cotopaxi was EXHAUSTING! An amazing experience it was.

Foodie LoVe

Backpacker LoVe